Tuesday 21 December 2010

Lets Talk: Skin Care




Since I started my blog I've gotten so many questions and comments about my skin. The truth is, Ive been bouncing around between products trying to find one that works the best for me. My good friend Lara is in Pharmaceutical sales and knows everything there is to know about almost every product out there. She is so fun to shop cosmetics and skin care with because she really does her research. I thought it would be fun to bring her in to my blog when we talk skin care and cosmetics. Lately Ive been doing a ton of makeup shopping and deciding which skin care line to try first.  Lara and I have come up with a plan- to find the best of the best in skin care products and share our journey with you. We both just started using 2 different skin care companies and are testing the out to see how they "rate"... in our book :) 
Currently I am using Bobbie Brown for face wash, toner, face serum, primer and scrub. Im trying out Chanel's moisturizer and a company called Skyn under eye cream.  Lara is using La Mer face wash and toner and Shiseido moisturizer.
My skin type I think would be combination. Lara's skin I think is the same but sensitive with red in her skin. We both HATE looking oily and are trying to find the best mattifying moisturizer there is...
( Ide just like to add... Im currently in the sky on a plane on my way from CA to NY and having wifi on a plane is pretty damn cool .. just saying)

Heres what Lara had to say.

Lara’s products…. 
Hey girls!! I am so excited to begin giving my input on some of the amazing skincare and makeup products that I have tried and use here on Jen's blog! A few years back, I began researching on which cleansers worked best on my skin, what helps to keep my skin looking vibrant, glowing, and young and makeup that stays flawless and non-cakey through out the day. I believe that it is very important to have an amazing skincare regime, especially coming from a pharmaceutical background and working with products for the skin, and wear makeup that brings out your best attributes!! So I am here to give some tips and tricks!

Cleanser/Toner/Moisturizer/Peel or Exfoliate/Mask 





Right now my favorite cleanser hands down is the La Mer Cleansing Gel ($65.00). It is very gentle on the skin, helps to get rid of excess oil, brush away any of the impurities that you may have, and keeps the skin feeling soft and clean (but doesn’t give that squeaky clean feeling which you NEVER want to have or feel). I have combination and sensitive skin and it works very well on myself. It has a light fragrance, making your face feel refreshed, but not over barring. Then I like to use La Mer tonic($65.00), which is basically like a toner but doesn’t contain alcohol, which is a HUGE bonus because alcohol can irritate your skin or even dry it out. I swipe the tonic with a cotton pad over my skin after using the gel cleanser to get rid of any dirt that’s still on my skin and even my neck. These two products together are amazing and they are worth the price. 


As for my moisturizer, I love the Shiseido (Japanese skin care line) Pureness Mattifying moisturizer ($32.00) since I do get a bit greasy throughout the day. It has a very light texture, oil free which is a bonus, contains an oil absorbing powder which helps to reduce any surface shine you may have but also hydrate the dry areas of the skin. I use it morning and night and so far I really enjoy it. For $32.00, it’s a great price and a great product.
To get rid of the dead skin on the face, I enjoy using the Elemis Papaya Enzyme Peel ($42.00), which also has anti-aging benefits as well. You’re probably thinking, “Ok this sounds like it’s going to burn my face or irritate it”. And actually, it doesn’t and that is why it is my favorite peel/exfoliate to use twice a week. It is so gentle on the skin and even the most sensitive of skin types can use this! I discovered this product in a celebrity event goody bag and have been using it ever since. If you see fruit ingredients in peels or exfoliates, that is an added bonus because fruit has been very well known in the beauty world to get rid of dead skin and add nutrients and vitamins back into the skin to keep it looking refreshed and young.



Lastly, it is important to have a good mask decongest pores and lift impurities off of the skin. I currently use Skinceuticals Clarifying Clay mask ($44.00) twice a week at night and I am really enjoying it. Clay is the best to use because it dries on the skin and lifts away blackheads and whiteheads out of the skin more easily. This mask contains both kaolin and bentonite, which are the highest quality natural earth clays. Mask also contains 5% hydroxy acid, which exfoliates the skin, leaving your face looking refreshed and purified.

These products are a good start to having healthy, young looking skin for the New Year!! I have many more products to dish about, but give these a try and let Jen and I know what you think!!
xoxo
Lara
__________________________________________________________________________________


My Products..


I dont have my products in front of my (bc im on a plane) so Im going to search google to find which ones Im currently trying out.

Cleanser-  Bobbi Brown lathering Tube soap- Price- about $24.00
I only started using this 2 days ago, so far so good.. It takes the smallest amount to get the job done, maybe the size of a pencil eraser and will lather like no tomorrow. It also leaves your skin feeling really clean and fresh without that super tight feeling afterward. Ill do a post update on my skin in a week or so because 2 days is too soon to really tell. 
What is it: A unique soap formula with a rich, luxurious lathering action that lifts off makeup and dirt.
Who is it for: All skin types.
Why is it different: A coconut extract derivative cleanses deeply, yet gently, while apricot oil hydrates and cushions skin for an incredibly clean, soft, and refreshed feeling.
How do I use it: Apply to damp skin. Gently massage into a lather, avoiding eye area. Rinse with warm water.







Toner- Bobbi Brown Hydrating Face Tonic- Price- about $26.00
Today I took a shower and was in such a rush to pack and make my flight that I didnt wash my face with cleanser while in the shower. I did however apply my Hydrating Face Tonic and after a few minutes felt like my skin was alittle sticky.  I'm not sure if it was because all I did was shower and not properly wash my face with soap or if that is how it leaves the skin. Ill test it out tonight when I land and let you know if I still feel the same way.
What it is: A tonic that moisturizes, soothes, and cleanses, leaving skin balanced and softened.
What it does: Applied immediately after cleansing, this skin conditioning tonic begins to restore and balance skin, leaving it soft, soothed, and perfectly prepared for the products that follow. Ingredients include cucumber, chamomile, licorice, aloe leaf, and lavender.







Exfoliator- Bobbi Brown Buffing Grains for Face- Price- about $40.00
I LOVE a good scrub. It gets all the dull skin off and leaves your skin feeling smooth and refreshed. It also allows the product to really get into your skin and do its job- instead of just sitting on top. What I like about this exfoliator is that you can use it multiple ways and can customize the amount of exfoliant you want on your skin.. You can use it with just water and make a paste or mix it into your cleaner which I did and loved. This  product is the perfect middle ground. The texture is very fine, similar to sand, but it has a smoothed out shape so it doesn't cut my skin or overstimulate. My skin normally turns very red after I use an exfoliator, but with this product it was fine... So far so good in my book!
What is it: A gentle yet effective exfoliator that leaves your face soft, smooth, and glowing.
Who is it for: All skin types.
Why is it different: Formulated with Japanese adzuki bean powder, these grains help remove dry surface patches and encourage skin cell turnover. You can customize the product to suit the needs of your complexion by mixing the luxurious grains with any Bobbi Brown cleanser or cream--or even water--to suit your skin.
How do I use it: Tap a small amount into your hand, then mix in just enough cleanser, cream, or water to turn it into a paste. Massage gently in a circular motion onto face. Rinse off with warm water.

Face Serum- Bobbi Brown - Intensive Skin Supplement Serum Anti-age Multi-action-Price-$65.00
I was alittle nervous about it leaving my skin oily.. I used it today before my flight and currently my skin feels smooth, not sticky and is not shiny.. I need to test and see if it's better to just use at night, or if twice a day is ok.. Will keep you posted :)
What is it: An advanced, multi-benefit serum that helps to improve skin's appearance as it helps prevent the visible signs of aging.
Who is it for: All skin types.
Why is it different: White birch extract reduces the look of fine, dry lines while grape extract helps clarify and brighten the complexion. The serum helps to make skin look smoother, more even-toned, and radiant.
How do I use it: Fill dropper one-quarter full and apply three drops of serum on clean forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin, blending as you go.

Primer- Bobbi Brown Vitamin-Enriched Face Base- Price- about $50.00
This is said to be one of her best products.. It's called a base which I was also told is like a primer. Im still trying to figure out the steps in which I should use all this stuff.. LARA HELP!!! LOL Hands down this product feels amazing on your skin and leaves your skin smooth and MATTE.. 2 thumbs up !!!
What is it: The first step to prepare skin for smooth makeup application.
Who is it for: All skin types.
Why is it different: Rich in feel, but never greasy, this advanced, oil-free face formula uses shea butter to instantly hydrate, soften, and cushion skin. Carrot extract and vitamin A complex help minimize the look of fine lines and wrinkles. Vitamins C and E help protect against environmental damage. Grapefruit and geranium fragrances leave a light, uplifting scent on the skin. With daily use, it helps skin look and feel its best, while also helping makeup go on smoothly, for a natural, poreless finish.
How do I use it: Morning and night, apply to just-cleansed skin, avoiding the eye area

Moisturizer-Chanel Precision Hydramax Active- Price- about-$72.00
So far this moisturizer works really nice.. It smells amazing- which lara would say isn't always a good thing, and its creamy NOT oily.. It left my skin really soft and smooth. Like I said- it's only been 2 days of using this product but so far I'm liking it :)
Info-This unique addition to the HYDRAMAX + ACTIVE Collection of ultra-moisturizers addresses the special needs of dry skin. Powered by a custom ingredient, Ceratonia PFA*, that goes to the source of skin’s hydration needs, this new, enriched formula combines the immediate nourishing and protective benefits of Shea Butter with the deeper continuous action of Rosemary liposomes. The natural synthesis of lipids is boosted from within and the skin’s natural defenses against dehydration are strengthened. Intensely moisturized and protected, the skin is softer, more supple and soothed, and can delight in a newfound, long-lasting feeling of comfort. *PFA: Polyfractioned Active. An ultra-pure, ultra-powerful ingredient created through an exclusive purification technique developed by CHANEL.

Under Eye CreamIcelandic Relief Eye Cream with Biospheric Complex-Price-about-$45.00
Im really liking this product.. I started using this about 5 days ago. I'm 25 now and the lady at Sephora told me I should use this to keep the delicate skin under my eyes moisturized. It also helps with making the concealer not as dry looking. It's a pretty good "starter" for eye creams.
What it is formulated to do: Formulated to address all of your eye care concerns, including puffiness, dark circles, and fine lines and wrinkles caused by stress-related oxygen and nutrient depletion, Icelandic Relief Eye Cream delivers immediate relief to the delicate skin under the eye. Stress can wreak havoc on the eye area, accelerating the signs of aging and depriving skin of vital moisture and nutrients. Icelandic Relief Eye Cream helps minimize puffiness, wrinkles, and dark circles while reviving skin with a blend of soothing ingredients.
What it is formulated WITHOUT:
- Parabens
- Sulfates
- Synthetic Fragrances
- Synthetic Dyes
- Phthalates
- Triclosan
What else you need to know: Slightly cooling and extremely lightweight, Icelandic Relief Eye Cream contains light-diffusing cotton powder that helps fill fine lines and wrinkles and doubles as a great under-makeup primer.

Mask- Mario Badescu- Mask for oily skin- Price-about $18.00
This is the mask Lara and I are wearing in the picture below. Its is great for oily skin and leaves your skin really matte and toned.. Its sort of  a pain to get off but it's worth the "struggle".
WHAT IT DOES: Prevents Pimples and Blackheads. Control build-up and surface oils with this clay and Calamine mask. Ideal for excessively oily and congested skin to maintain clean, healthy skin.
HOW TO USE: Apply a thin layer on clean skin, avoiding eye area. Wait 20 minutes and rinse with tepid water. Follow with Control Moisturizer for Oily Skin or Oil Free Moisturizer. May be used 2-3 times a week. Use more often if necessary.
INGREDIENTS: Deionized Water (Aqua), Seamollient, Kaolin, Calamine,Magnesium Carbonate,Bentonite, Sorbitol,Boric Acid

We hope you enjoyed our skin care entry!!!! We will keep you posted 
XOXO
Jennifer and Lara







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.